Interactive Metronome® (IM) is an evidence-based and research-based training program that improves cognitive and motor skills, helping individuals overcome attention, memory, and coordination limitations. IM works for people of all ages who have a variety of conditions affecting their cognitive and physical abilities.
The design of the IM program ensures that individuals recognize their progress as it is occurring, increasing their motivation toward therapy and their ultimate recovery or gains in ability.
IM is used to improve:
- Language processing
- Reading and math fluency
- Control of impulsivity/aggression
Research in Children & Adults:
IM is beneficial for most neurological conditions. Here are some of the common ones that have been seen and assisted through the use of IM in both children and adults:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (including Asperger’s, PDD)
- Brain Injury
- Brain Tumor (following surgery or chemotherapy)
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Communication Impairments (Deficits)
- Confidence & Self-esteem
- Dyslexia and Other Reading Disorders
- Language & Learning Disabled
- Limb Amputation
- Non-verbal Learning Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Spinal Cord Injury
The IM program can also be used for enhancement of cognitive and athletic performance!
Participation in athletic events requires attention, coordination & timing.
Through the implementation of the IM Program individuals can:
- Filter out background noise – is essential for success of an athlete in the game. Hypersensitivity to sounds is common for those with attention difficulties.
- Broaden visual fields and strengthen eye muscles – helps an athlete to adapt to changes constantly occurring in their environment. Being able to have your eyes track items and respond to changes in light frequencies affects reaction time.
- Increase body awareness – is an important aspect of self-awareness to have in relationship to your surroundings in both practice and games.
- Increase mental focus – is the ability to concentrate one’s attention or energy and maintain composure under anxiety and stress.