Children & Teen Discussion Groups & Forums
- Mondays 4:00pm – 6 Classes
Each session, participants will experience a neurologically-based program that centers on mindfulness, growth mindset, and GRATITUDE while including simple body movements. During these sessions, we will:
- Get our blood flowing to wake up our bodies and brains to help with focus and organization
- Use cross-body movements to activate both sides of our brain to help with the flexibility of thought and learning integration
- Use self-pressure and coordinated movements for emotional regulation to help with calming and self-control
- Practice eye exercises and balance to improve coordination and creative thinking
- Learn and practice breathing techniques to regain control and focus in any situation
- Discover words of positive affirmation and visualization techniques
During the six-week program, students will learn movement techniques that empower them to control their learning, emotions, and attention.
- Week 1: Introductions & Creating Goals
- Week 2: Focus training
- Week 3: Attention to detail and cross-body integration
- Week 4: Emotional regulation
- Week 5: Patterns and mathematical thinking
- Week 6: Lasting change through practice and success
- Tuesdays 5:15pm - 6 Classes OR
- Wednesdays 4:15pm - 6 Classes
In this weekly group, children will focus on advancing their pre-existing social-emotional, executive functioning, and mental health and wellness skills. Participants will increase their knowledge and skillset through interactive and engaging learning opportunities as the group is guided through meaningful dialogue and activities. Participant interaction is encouraged to help support one another and social skill development.
- Session 1 Topic: Self-Esteem
- Session 2 Topic: Healthy Friendships
- Session 3 Topic: Dealing with Everyday Stress and Frustrations
- Session 4 Topic: Anger Management
- Session 5 Topic: Problem Solving
- Session 6 Topic: Positive Coping Strategies
- Tuesdays 7:30pm – 6 Classes
The purpose of the Girls Resiliency Forum is to help them build upon their resiliency and become more compassionate, stress less, and thrive during challenging situations. Topics that we will be addressing throughout the series include health, stress management, emotional knowledge, conflict resolution, social skills, and goal setting/future thinking.
Classes are limited to five students to create a supportive environment to allow for trust and bonding. Each class will include a mixture of activities and discussion. Students are encouraged to participate in the discussions, but personal disclosure is always optional.
- Thursdays 5:00pm – 6 Classes
We know that today in 2021, more children and teens are experiencing anxiety and stress and that this anxiety can be crippling for children and their parents. A safe place to gain the opportunity to share their worries and fears, develop coping strategies and skills, and ultimately inner strength can be life-changing for children. During the group sessions, we will focus on understanding what and how anxiety develops, how to recognize and then change those thoughts, cope with the worries and fears that come up to help alleviate the symptoms of participants. This will be an interactive group where students will practice these new skills as they learn them.
Because anxiety is an individualized and complex subject stemming from various sources, we will not be digging into the root causes of each student's worry. However, participants in the group will be asked to think of personal fears and then can choose to share during the sessions if they are comfortable doing so.
- Session 1 – Introductions & How Anxiety Happens
- Session 2 - What We Worry About
- Session 3 - Flipping Negative Thoughts
- Session 4 - Recognizing My Anxiety
- Session 5 - Coping With Worries
- Session 6 - What Is In My Control
- Thursdays 7:30pm – 8 Classes
Throughout this group, we will look at all the different stressors one may be facing, especially for a pre-teen/teenager today. Many of our teens keep their thoughts and feelings to themselves and feel alone in their views, so it can be helpful and reassuring to know that others who are the same age may have the same thoughts. Today in 2021, so many pre-teens/teens are stressed about homework, school, looks, friends, social media, parents, and even with the addition of a pandemic, these issues have not gone away!
All sessions are interactive and will include discussions and guidance and coaching on various stress management/mindfulness techniques that students can use to manage their stress & emotions. Students are encouraged to ask questions and share their thoughts and perspectives.
- Session 1 & 2: From Stress to Success
- Session 3 & 4: Stress & Time Management
- Session 5 & 6: From Stress to Wellness
- Session 7 & 8: Social Stress & Pressure
- Pre-Teens - Fridays 5:00pm – 6 Classes
- Teens - Fridays 7:00pm - 6 Classes
We can all recognize that adolescence can be very challenging in today's world. Preteens and teens are constantly thinking about what they are good at and what they are not. They can start to feel powerless and believe that they cannot change how good or bad they are at something. However, when we give them the tools, they can help transform this limited thinking and put their dreams into action. They can increase their self-confidence and feel the power they hold inside themselves to create a new reality and life they imagine.
Each session, we connect as a group and create a mindset around a self-affirming topic. Participants will honor their unique selves, transform negative self-talk to positive self-talk, create positive affirmations for the future they desire, and use visualization to develop and deepen neural pathways to set their desires in motion.
Goals of the program:
- The participant will identify three unique aspects about themselves that they love
- The participant will transform a negative self-talk statement into a positive self-talk statement
- The participant will create three positive affirmations for a future they desire
- The participant will understand how to visualize a positive affirmation as if it is occurring right now to create a new neural pathway.
This class will also discuss the following topics of importance in self-esteem:
- Watching your self-talk
- Focus on your strengths
- You are special
- Don't compare yourself to others
- Realize why people try to tear you down
- Why you must help others
- Saturdays 12:30pm – 6 Classes
This 6-week program will allow children to discuss and participate in activities that foster social-emotional learning and awareness.
Session 1 - Being a Helpful Person, working cooperatively, and good sportsmanship
Session 2 - Matching
Session 3 - Emotional awareness and regulation
Session 4 - Social Cues
Session 5 - Being Assertive
Session 6 – How to Be A Good Bystander
Sessions begin with an introduction, explanation, and examples of each topic. An individual or group activity will then be done that involves this topic, a guided question, and answers on the situation. Activities will include visual and auditory observing of others’ voices, hand motions, and facial expressions.